Vice-Dean: Le Dang Bao Chau, MA
The Faculty of Sociology at Hue University of Sciences - an initial and prestigious address in the Central Vietnam, presently is 5 years old. For the five previous years, the Faculty of Sociology has been achieving the permanent goals as follows:
1. Strengthen international cooperation through PIP project with Dalousie University (Canada), Visayas University (Philippines) and other national and international partners to set up the training and research network as well as to promote the research activities, staff and student exchange and human resource training.
2. Build the staff members and facitities to meet the demand of development
3. Build the traning frame for academic and credit systems, write the lessons, textbooks, references and enrolments (first academic year 2006-2007)
4. Offer the Bachelor’s degree training program in regular form and approach the joint-training for Master’s and Doctoral training programs. The programs of general and professional sociology are offered to many universities of Hue University.
5. Promote the scientific research for the sake of training mandate and meeting the society’s realistic needs. Participate in proposing, consulting, giving feedback and assessing the projects, research work, transferring technology in Thua Thien Hue, Central Vietnam and Western Highlands as well as in the nation.
1. Staff members
At the beginning, the Faculty has 6 staff who were transferred from other Faculties of the university, of which 1 Ph.D holder, 2 MA holders, 3 BA holders. Presently the Faculty has 15 staff including 2 Ph.D holders, 4 MA holders, 2 Ph.D students (one is trained in France and another is trained in Thailand) and 2 lecturers who are pursuing their Master’s degree programs in Hanoi and HCM city. There are 3 departments under the Faculty: 1) Planning and social management; 2) Gender – Family and Population; 3) Environment and community development.
By 2014, the number of teaching staff will increase 25%, of which 2 associate professor, 5 Ph.D holders, 95% of the staff are Ph.D students and MA students. International relations will be enhanced, teaching staff will be sent to foreign training institutions and some staff studying and researching in foreign countries are welcome back the university for their mandate, 100% lecturers have foreign language competence and apply the tools of science technology into teaching and professional activities.
The Faculty has offered 5 courses with 340 students, of which 2 academic system courses and 3 credit system courses.
The Faculty of Sociology has coordinated with the Faculties of Biology, Law and Environmental Science to offer Master’s Degree program in Environmental Management (3 courses). The Faculty connected with Hanoi University of Social Sciences and Humanities for Master’s Degree joint-training in Sociology in 2011 and Social Work by 2012.
3. Cooperative development and scientific research
The Faculty has established good relations with educational institutions and research institutes in Hanoi and Hochiminh, and promoted many cooperative approaches with international partners such as Dalhousie University (Canada), Visayas University (Philippines), Chiangmai University (Thailand), Jame Madison (America), ICCO foundation (Holland), Rockerfeoler (America), ADB, NAV and other partners from ASEAN. The staff’s goal and mandate are setting up projects, joint-research projects, training, staff and student exchange with national and international institutions. Moreover, the faculty’s staff and students have also participated in many projects conducted by the center for social sciences and humanities - Hue University of Sciences for the professional skills.
Some directions for scientific research about the impacts on the socio-economic development in Thua Thien Hue, Central Vietnam and some solutions for management as follows:
- Community development and poverty reduction
- History - Culture - Hue’s Tradition in development
- Gender - Family - Environment in development
- Social structure and social classes
- Religion and its impacts in spiritual life and development
- Training technology and occupational environment in development
- Ecosystem - Humanities and development
- Urbanization - Urban planning and sustainable development
- Human resources and human resource development
- Tourism - Socio-economic role and prospect
- Industrialization - investment classes and social impacts
- Planning and general management of sustainable resource - environment
- Policy advocacy/ Law consultancy/ legislation initiatives.
- Climate change/community livelihood
- Migrant labour and resettlement